Bonjour tout le monde! In case you haven’t noticed, I’m a lover of all things French. So it’s no surprise that I’m a French minor and studying abroad in Strasbourg this fall. When I was growing up I heard Édith Piaf and Charles Aznavour on a regular basis, which is probably why I’m so drawn to the French culture and language. I still listen to both French icons, but have since expanded my musical taste.
In my free time I look up new French artists, listen to every single 8 Tracks playlist with “French café” tags and learn the lyrics of my favorite songs. Through my extensive research, I’d like to think that I’ve found some amazing songs and want to share them with you. The following French playlist is a mélange (ha ha) of classic songs, dance music, ballads and café music. The artists are French, Belgian, Canadian, Italian and American.
I hope you enjoy these French tunes as much as I do and find a new favorite chanson! Please comment below if you have any additions. Merci beaucoup!
- “Comme des enfants” by Cœur de Pirate
- “Cap diamant” by Cœur de Pirate
- “Papaoutai” by Stromæ
- “Alors on danse” by Stromæ
- “Que veux-tu” by Yelle
- “Ce Jeu” by Yelle
- “Rien de rien” by Édith Piaf
- “Il y avait” by Édith Piaf
- “Y a d’la joie” by Charles Trenet
- “Si tu n’étais pas là” by Fréhel
- “Quelqu’un m’a dit” by Carla Bruni
- “Les feuilles mortes” by Yves Montand
- “Moi je joue” by Brigitte Bardot
- “Tout doucement” by Feist
- “L’heure avait sonné” by Joyce Jonathan
- “Je veux” by Zaz
- “La bohème” by Charles Aznavour
- “Si tu vois ma mère” by Sidney Bechet
- “Parlez-moi d’amour” by Lucienne Boyer
- “À Paris” by Francis Lemarque