Hi all! Because I’m such a foodie and loooove to cook my own meals, I decided to start a recipe series for Sass and the City. Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve been following recipes in the kitchen and experimenting with my own. Naturally, my culinary abilities have improved over the years and I’d like to think that I can now hold my own in the kitchen.
As you might know, I don’t eat any meat or poultry, so I supplement protein with seafood and other natural sources, like beans, whole grains, vegetables, etc. I do my best to eat healthfully and live a balanced lifestyle, but as my fellow and former college students can attest, both are very difficult goals to follow on-the-go. Since summer has officially begun for me, I decided to go on a health kick and begin a healthy, balanced, sustainable lifestyle for myself. This means eating well and avoiding carbs, sugars, processed foods, etc. whenever possible.
Like most Americans (and people, in general), I LOVE pizza. No, really. I adore it. My favorite food ever is cheese and I can’t resist carbs too well; couple those two addictions with my love of tomatoes, and you’ve got a consummate meal for Adriana. So did I ban pizza from my new lifestyle? Of course not! Here’s my take on a healthy veggie pizza that I made in less than 10 minutes. Feel free to add any other ingredients (or remove ones you don’t like)! Also feel free to use any other brands; I’ve included the names of mine here just so you can have an idea of the calorie/carb counts.
- 1 Mission Whole Wheat tortilla
- 2 spoonfuls of Rao’s Homemade Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup of kale
- 1/4 cup of black olives
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/8 cup of onion
- 1/4 cup of 6 cheese Italian shredded cheese
- 1 roma tomato, diced or sliced
- Olive oil and black pepper
- Preheat your toaster oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Place the tortilla on the parchment paper and scoop out two spoonfuls of marinara sauce onto it; spread evenly.
- Layer kale, then black olives, tomatoes, garlic, and onions.
- Drizzle evenly with olive oil and sprinkle pepper.
- Cover with shredded cheese.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes, according to your preference and oven temperature.